Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why Won't Doctors Listen?

by Norman Rockwell

I recently took my 8 year old, Megan, to the Dr. because she had a very bad cough. The Doctor diagnosed Megan with bronchitis and prescribed antibiotics. Doctor and the Doll by Norman Rockwell

During the exam, the Dr. noticed Megan's DH (Dermatitis Herpetaformis) all over her legs, arms and the back of her neck.

  • Caring Doctor.: "Oh my, she seems to have broken out from the virus."


  • Me: "Oh no, that's just the DH from her Celiac Disease. She recently got into the wrong butter dish at home and ate wheat bread crumbs."


  • Caring Doctor.: (obviously, not listening) "I can give you a prescription for the excema. Perhaps I'll give you a topical antibiotic as it looks like this may get a staph infection."

  • Me: "Well now, see, she's been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and her rash has been diagnosed as DH."

  • Caring Doctor.: "Does your excema itch, Dear?" (talking to Megan)

  • Me: "Have you ever heard of DH? It's a rash specific to Celiac Disease." (I said politely)


  • Caring Doctor.: "Oh, I see this rash all the time. I have some stuff that will clear it right up." (she says as she writes illegibly on a pad)


  • Me: ~~~sigh~~~
The interesting thing about that visit is, I came away with 4 prescriptions and once I got to the pharmacy, only 2 of them were Gluten-Free. The pharmacist was able to check online for me.
Before the Shot by Norman Rockwell

In defense of this caring doctor, we live in a small rural town and she knows very little about Celiac Disease or it's complications. Three years ago, I lived in a major city and the doctors there didn't know anything either!
The frustrating thing is that they won't be taught, especially by a mother of a sick kid. I am NO doctor, but I have had to deal with the effects of this disease ALL my life. My ten children and I were diagnosed 15 years ago and I have done a tremendous amount of study; of the disease itself and the complications, not to mention the diet. I am NOT an expert in any other medical condition EXCEPT THIS!
You can see that I wish I could have said all this to her. When will the medical community take this disease seriously? When will they work to find a cure, relief from the symptoms and lobby for food that is correctly labeled?

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Hi, I came across your blog looking up DH since my sons have been diagnosed with eczema but I was wondering if it's really DH. Are there tests the doctor does to find out? Do I have to see a dermatologist or should I see an allergist? I know you're not a doctor I was just wondering about your opinion on the subject. Thanks.

Chandice said...

Hey my name is Chandice and I also have Celiac disease. I recently started a blog that is dedicated to living gluten-free. www.glutenfreefrenzy.blogspot.com
I will be working really hard this weekend with my hubby who is a software developer to get it up the way we want it with tons of recipes and gluten free lifestyle information. It's always nice to have another source for living gluten free :) If you search it through google it helps get it out there so more people can find it and enjoy the recipes and information I have to share. Thanks for your support and thanks for your great blog!

Backbone Executives said...

I found your comments. Very interesting because my daughter would break out into puss like bumps and they gave me an antibiotic that made her very sick but they told me she had MRSA and it was very important for her to take this. Well, it turns out the tests came back negative and now that we are gluten free no more break outs.

I hear you on getting a Dr. to listen to you. Love your blog.

liza said...

nice post