Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hats Off to Orange Marmalade!

I love toast. I love it slathered with butter and raspberry jam. Raspberry jam is my favorite toast-topper. It's comfort food from my childhood. It's all-American! I love toast so much that I have even collected antique and vintage toasters.


What is breakfast without toast? It's a tool for sopping up extra egg-yoke or a delivery system for bits of bacon. The day is perfect when it starts with a slice of toasted delight.



Since my diagnosis of Celiac Disease 20 years ago, toast of any kind has been eradicated from my life.  Oh, the grieving! I even tossed the toaster, as there was no decent bread to be found. Gluten-free bread was crumbly or the texture and weight of a load of bricks.



Well, times have changed! Manufacturers have realized there is profit to be made by making a decent gluten-free product that has the texture and taste of our most staple of breakfast ingredients.  Hurray for the innovation of tasty bread that doesn't kill me!
In my home, some of us are gluten-free, some are not. We have a 4-slice toaster. Two of the slots are for toasting regular gut-busting bread, the other two slots are for my gluten-free bread. After toasting my bread in my designated slots, I butter my slice with the end of the butter that hasn't been used yet, the side without crumbs from other users.




It's all about NO CONTAMINATION!! 




Now for the jam, raspberry jam. I have my special jar. Alas, I find it's everyone else's special jar, too. There are crumbs of wheat bread, lurking in the jar, lying in wait to give me a hellish 5-day bout of diarrhea, gas,  bloating and pain.

I have learned that my family hates Orange Marmalade jam.

They don't go near it. It has bits of orange rind! I have learned to love it, because I don't have to hide the jam and it's mine, all mine. I can have my toast and eat it too!

Hat's off to Orange Marmalade! 




1 comment:

Linda said...

Toast is the easiest thing to prepare for breakfast. I like toast with something light on it as I do not feel like eating in the morning.